Given the uptick in human-bear interaction in our community, neighbor Sarah Oram has these top tips from BearWise to to keep everyone safe!
BearWise Haw Creek participants agree to:
- Not put out their garbage until collection day morning, and to secure it (in a garage, shed, or locked area) throughout the week
- Not feel bears directly
- Secure or remove unintended bear food sources around the house (birdseed, dirty grills, pet food, garbage, etc)
- Contact State Assistant Biologist, Ashley Hobbs (Ashley.Hobbs@ncwildlife.org) to report escalated bear behavior and to secure/remove any bear attractants for at least two weeks after the reported incident
- Notify NC Wildlife’s Justin McVey on 828 273 7980 about any bear encounters that feel unusually aggressive to humans or pets
- Educate Haw Creek neighbors and friends about BearWise recommendations for the safety of both humans and bears
Sarah would like to organize neighborhoods in Haw Creek for BearWise certification. If you are interested in learning more, please contact her on 828 298 4893 or email@example.com.
Feature image from Pixabay